Sunday, July 27, 2008

Women To Women Program Update

Hello Everyone,

I've been on the womentowomen.com program now for 2 months. It's time to give you an update on my progress.

First, the organization Women To Women is a fine group. Their counselors have phoned me no less than 5 times now. Once the nurse, Emily, called and we had a 30 minute talk over the phone reviewing the various components of my recovery plan. We discussed diet, exercise, the herbal hormone supplements and the nutritional supplements. All discussed specifically to my symptoms with tweaks here and there.

The Women To Women 90 day program is comprised of nutritional supplements taken am and pm together with the herbal hormone supplement, also taken am and pm. Along with the supplements and probably the most important aspect is the shift in diet. They include in the box with the supplements the diet plan called the Schwartzbeing Principle, by Diana Schwartzbeing, MD., an endocrinologist from Santa Barbara, CA.
And of course, the recommendation for daily regular exercise.

At the start I was pretty much couch-bound. Depressed, frustrated and in a general state of malaise, I realized one evening that I had to do something differently and that it quite possibly was hormonal. A year prior my chiropractor had diagnosed that I was coping with adrenal fatigue. That night it came to me that if I were suffering adrenal fatigue, I quite possibly could have other hormonal deficiencies as well.

Two months later I am walking every morning just over a mile. I live in the mountains, so my walk consists of several pretty good inclines that get my heart pumping, then the path eases. Some days I get a second "work out" in with a gentle 50 minute Tai Chi practice which I really like. I found the DVD at the library, and pop it into my DVD player. I especially like all the breathing and the graceful, gentle movements that enhance balance and focus.

I have been absolutely faithful to taking my nutritional supplements. In the course of my consultations with the Women To Women counselors, I have shifted taking the nutrition in the AM (I'm up at 6 am) and at noon to keep myself going during the day when I need to keep on going. Although, I have incorporated a defined lunch break and short nap at the noon hour. I have also upped the hormone supplement to three times a day.

I have gone from a pudgy 144 pounds to 135 pounds. It would be nice to drop another 10 pounds, and I trust that if I continue with the exercise, this will happen easily.
Each week I add something to the physical activity, whether it is another lap or a stint in the garden, Tai Chi, or floor exercises

My skin tone (elasticity) and muscle tone have improved markedly.

Those weird hairs that were appearing on my chin are no where in sight any longer.

I am sleeping like a baby. I sleep 7.5 hours per night no matter what.

My mood is better, although I am still working with that a bit. I have added 50 mg. of 5HTP to my evening supplements as well as tincture of St. John's Wort am and noon. Together with increased exercise to boost my own production of endorphines, this improvement in mood should continue.

The biggest challenge to me has been eating more vegetables. I had to laugh at myself this morning as I still stand sort of dumb founded each morning trying to figure out what to eat. The best is to saute garlic, onions, mushrooms and spinach, then scramble with an egg. I have also switched over to making my own breads: whole grain rye, wheat, oat.

I confess that the first few weeks I felt like I should tie myself down not to hunt down some carbs. Now I find that craving all but gone. I look forward to my two snacks a day usually a half an apple with a dollop of peanut butter or almond butter which supplies some good energy.

I am also enjoying eating more protein and fats (the good ones). I think, all in all, that I had been literally starving my body of the nutrition that it really required.

And you can't say too much for the value of exercise. This was the most difficult area to go from intertia to building some momentum. Now I pretty much roll out of bed, tie on my tenny-runners and go do my laps.

And one more thing: I am spending that walking time doing some lovely Self talk. I appreciate me, I appreciate the day, I look for the new things that delight me. I notice the sunrise, the birds, the plants, the air and how my body feels. At first this wasn't so good, but day by day, my body felt better...and it continues to get better and better as momentum builds.

The best part is that I am now working a full day, albeit, 8 hours not 10. I am writing again, working on two books, and generally find the momentum building in these areas, as well.

I tell myself, "Good Girl, I'm proud of you..." And on a day where I am not quite up to speed, I give myself a break. I've given up beating myself up, allow myself the rest, and more importantly, view that time as my Self integrating with myself.

I'll report back after the full 90 days. Meanwhile, do something...to begin feeling better. Each step, each moment, each little thing begins to add up, like individual grains of sand compose a beach, and soon you are feeling well and that better life is coming into focus.

Thanks for reading!


Kath

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear about your progress with Women to Women. I've been reading the articles there and they are awesome. I've been considering the program and am glad I found this blog. I'll check back for the full 90 day report!

- Jacqueline