Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Schwarzbeing Principle: Balanced Diet Key to Physical and Emotional Health

Good Day Everyone!

Ask and it is answered.

In the last blog I described to you how I've been suffering from severe fatigue and exhausted adrenals for years. It came to a head about 10 days ago when I went searching online for help.

I ended up at the womentowomen.com site where I took their "hormonal imbalance" quiz and was pronounced with severe symptoms. I ordered their 90 day program. It arrived yesterday - took 10 days to get here! Of course I started right away with the nutritional support and the herbal hormone support.

The surprise in the box was a book called the Schwartzbein Principle: The Truth About Losing Weight, Being Healthy and Feeling Younger by Diana Schwartzbeing, MD. Dr. Schwartzbein is an endocrinologist in Santa Barbara, California. (see link: www.schwartzbeinprinciple.com). I have spent about 2 hours this morning reading her book. I am learning so much, but more importantly, it is supporting some of my suspicions that I've garnered over the years.

For example, I have often wondered why we crave carbohydrates: the bagel, the donut, the cookies; or gotta get that afternoon cup of java; a cigarette; and other stimulants.

I have often wondered about these cravings, weight gain, insulin and immune diseases.

Dr. Schwarzbein addresses all of these, so far, in her book.

What I have learned so far in the program obtained from Women To Women is that the nutrition is the who key to our optimum health. If you'll read past blogs of mine, you'll see that I've been hot on this trail for awhile now, promoting whole foods, organic foods, real foods. But now I can add to this the balanced diet.

The elements to a balanced diet are not to be found in the US Government's Food Pyramid, but rather in a square comprised of 1. Proteins; 2. Fats; 3. Non-starchy vegetables (not corn) and 3. carbohydrates - Real Carbohydrates such as wheat, not pasta or bread, rice, not rice cakes; potatoes, not potato chips. i.e. NOT MAN MADE or MANUFACTURED.

So, so far, we're on the right path here with Real Whole Foods - that is to say - not processed and that which you could grow, gather or harvest, theoretically, yourself.

The surprise is in the importance of fats (once again, Real Whole Food Fats) that are gained in eating red meat, chicken, fish, butter, nuts, seeds and how critical they are to the manufacture of hormones in the body.

Eating a low fat diet can make you fat and lead to high cholesterol, because your body requires these to be obtained in nutrition, when it doesn't get them, it thinks it's gone into a famine and starts using all those carbs and turn those into cholesterol - so important is cholesterol to the functioning of a healthy body.

One last basic I will pass on for today. Dr. Schwartzbein recommends that you eat something from each of these 4 basic food groups at each meal. For example this morning I sauteed some home grown swiss chard with garlic in olive oil, scrambled in an egg; had half a glass of organic orange juice (with my probiotic superfood). The vegetables: swiss chard and garlic; the protein. the eggs; the carbs; the orange juice; and the fats, the olive oil.

Dr. Schwartzbein's program calls for 3 balanced meals a day plus two snacks between meals.

A sample day's menu mike look like this:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with nitrate-free sausages, 2/3 cup oatmeal with butter and cream; and sliced tomatoes.
Snack: 1/4 cup sunflower seeds or a handful of almonds
Lunch: Cobb salad (made with chopped chicken, nitrate free bacon, hard-boiled egg; bleu cheese, salad greens and tomatoes). Olive oil and vinegar dressing. 1 small apple
Snack: 1/4 cup almonds and string cheese
Dinner: Roast pork loin. 1/3 cup brown rice with butter. Asparagus with butter. Mixed greens salad with tomatoes and cucumbers, tossed with olive oil and vinegar dressing.

There are vegetarian versions of this balanced protein-fat-veggie-carb diet as well.

What is absent absolutely is sugar, refined flour, alcohol and caffeine.

Don't be overwhelmed. Just begin anywhere, right where you are. Just begin! You'll refine it over time. It took me a year to get all the inorganic stuff out of my pantry and I'm still refining it.
But you can start with your next trip to the grocery and your next meal. Definitely throw out all your phony sweeteners, get raw sugar, raw honey for now until you've weened yourself from the cravings.

Remember, it's the poor diet that keeps you locked in the vicious cycle of sweet, caffeine, or other stimulant in order to feel better; but they are short lived and you're reaching once again for that "fix".

One more thing. The importance of a good probiotic supplement is essential. I personally recommend One Group's MiVitality InLiven Probiotic Powder. For an intensive start use it with InLiven Fast Tract Liquid. To order these go to www.honestskincare.mionegroup.com. And if you need help or want to ask questions, just contact me a www.honestskincare@gmail.com.

You can't change the world of you don't feel good. Let's get well and healthy!

Stay tuned. I'm right in there with you making my way slowly back to complete and perfect health, which is exactly what I asked for. Come do this with me!

Thanks for reading!

Kath

No comments: