Friday, February 8, 2008

Grassroots Change

Hello Everyone,

Today I had a lovely conversation from a young lady named, Jill, who was calling me on behalf of the Organic Consumers Fund. "OCF is focused on grassroots lobbying and legislative action to promote organic and sustainable food and farming, health, peace, justice, sustainability, and democracy." http://organicconsumersfund.org

Jill was doing prospecting calls and asked me if I had a minute. I did and we ended up having a 20 minute conversation about the Renaissance going on in America.

What Renaissance you might ask? It's the Renaissance coming about as the result of the last period that I refer to as the Dark Ages. When "they" knew what was best for us. When we believed that "they" knew what was best for us. Like chemicals in the food, ground, water and air. Like genetically modified foods. Like synthetics in our personal care products. Like toxins in our food; synthetic medicines that make us sicker. And all the while we, like sheep and lemming, giving over our knowing and authority to "them" as willing, naive and gullible participants.

This is all coming to an abrupt halt. John and Jane Doe are asking really dangerous questions!
Why does my tomato taste like cardboard? What exactly is in my deodorant? What do you mean children are being born with DDT in their bodies and it has been banned for years? We are slowly exchanging substance for shallow; quality for quantity; real for Real and I know what's best for me rather than you know what's best for me.

Why is this on this blog for honestskincare? I keep telling you, I can't separate out honest skin care from these larger issues. And I suppose that it's part of my joy to notice this Renaissance and cheer it on with all my heart.

Things are not so disconnected and compartmentalized as "they" would have you think, but rather it is all interconnected like dominos. How exciting is it that our farmers - according to Jill who lives in Lincoln, Nebraska - are starting to return to organic farming, and that even there, the demand at the Organic Markets is outstripping the supply. One of those farmers is going to start growing organic herbs. And somebody is going to start formulating skin care products made from these organics. And voila, a new economy is happening in America.

This is the grassroots, John and Jane Doe America where the power lies, always has and always will be. This is Us! And we will change the face of America by simply asking the question, "How could we do.....? And then moving towards that with singular focus knowing that WE CAN.

Promise next blog will be about products and or information!

Thanks for reading,


Kath

No comments: